Talking about Blogging

Wednesday, May 04, 2005



The most often asked question when you join a new college/organization or goto a team building exercise is "Introduce yourself and tell us what your hobbies are." I would have gone through this ritual more than 5 times in the past 2 weeks. This is one question which sounds quite simple on the surface. It is only when you start talking that you wonder "gosh..what are my hobbies?" I was literally fishing for answers after answering the easy part -- muttering my name which btw is strange to hear from your own self. The day I joined, I was asked to fill a form for the HR in which the last section was about hobbies. Laziness and the inability to think clearly took the better of me and I just scribbled what first came to my mind which was blogging". 2 days later, the HR approached me scratching her head spelling out the word - b l o g g i n g. She said, "L..i, What is your hobby and what does this word mean?" I explained that it was an online journal and she still seemed confused.
Apparently she had asked the same to a couple of people and no one seemed to know what it was! I went through the same situation a couple of times at various meetings and was lucky enough to find a few who did know what "blogging" was about. My answers on blogging became more passionate by the day and that was when I realised that I really love to read and write (which I obviously don't regularly do) blogs.

As an Aquarean my interests have changed with time. I don't know why I couldn't think of my other interests such as watching Formula 1 and the crazy habit of seeing "Friends" every night. It is only the TV channel and the time that I still see "Friends" every evening has changed between Chicago and Bangalore.

Does anyone out there see Joey? I observed that the rating for Joey has dropped by 4%.