Beware of auction fraud at eBay

Friday, May 06, 2005



I was almost devastated exactly a year back on learning that we lost $1100 in our first ever purchase on eBay. I never wanted to blog about it. It is history now! The stupid incident came back to me when I read this article on BBC today. For all you know, we might have been one of his victims. We bid for a HP laptop and lost the bid. But the seller from UK was willing to sell it to us as the winner of the bid declined to buy. Excited about the price, we agreed. The stupid mistake we did was not to go thr PayPal and submit to his demand of transferring the amount thr Western Union. To this day whenever I see a Western Union counter anywhere, I turn red! He took the money promptly and the laptop never came. Subsequent complaints to Internet Police, FBI turned futile as it was beyond the jurisdiction of US Police too. We exchanged a few e-mails with the Internet Police who in turn directed us to UK police but as you would guess it turned out his address was wrong! Well, I’m glad that the guy is caught. Just so you know, most online frauds originate in Europe so think twice before you want to buy something from that region. And always pay through PayPal.