Summers in India and Mangoes

Tuesday, May 17, 2005



Alphonso MangoDespite the scorching heat of Indian Summers, I love it for one reason. If you are from a tropical region, you would know what I'm talking about. Yes, Mangoes! Mango, considered the King of Fruits, is a yellow/orange colored fruit that comes in various sizes, shapes and tastes. The same variety is often known by different names in different parts of India. Every meal in a Indian home ends with Mango during the months of April - August. The availability of a particular variety such as rumani, panganampalli and neelam also changes as the mango season progresses from April. Alphonso, one of the most expensive variety, is priced at more than Rs. 120/Kg. I missed eating Mangoes the past 2 summers. So I'm treating my tastebuds now!