Blogger's Block

Thursday, June 02, 2005



Sounds like Writer's block? I like reading more blogs than my daily dosage now, more than writing one now. I think most bloggers (except the A List bloggers) go through this lifecycle.
Initially, when one starts writing a blog, there is an enthusiasm to post diligently but isn't sure what to write and what not to. The dilemma of where to draw the line and how much personal details to reveal..There is also this slight apprehension and a tinge of hestitation on what watercooler conversations are ok to talk about and what is asking for trouble... I have often seen people keeping their identities anonymous and posting entries shrouded in secrecy that makes me look like a secret agent decoding stuff or solving a puzzle. People who exhibit this behavior also don't share their URL's or publicly list their blog. They often have code names or address their friends/co-workers by initials. Not until a while ago, I have done all of this myself. Now after 2 years of blogging and over 200 posts, I have shed all my apprehensions.
After a while when one gets used to the blogosphere, ideas pour in and you write without thinking much. It gets more exciting when you have a traffic analyzer set up. One fine day you are surprised that the number of visitors skyrocketed because of an entry you posted that seemed like an ordinary post to you. This has happened to me with Nike Shoes and Wiki. Now you are inspired to write more. But the same phenomenon rarely succeeds the next time. It gets better. When other bloggers quote or link to your post, the feeling of "being recognized" in this vast community sets in. This is the HIGH time. After this golden era, it takes a downhill trip for some. Posts not so regular and interest weaning... I'm at this stage now!

Despite wanting to write on a couple of topics for sometime now such as "Unregulated Capitalism", "China Vs India", that I would have gladly posted sometime ago, I sat here wondering what to write about. Every topic seemed boring. So this is what I did. A to-do list to revamp my blog (inspired by Secrets of the A-List Bloggers: Lots of short entries:


  1. Clean up and organizing my blog - such as combining archive links and removing the quote section

  2. Writing shorter entries. For longer entries, displaying just the summary and making the post expandable.

  3. Writing on diverse subjects. No more of this happened at work that happened at work we met this person over weekend blah blah

  4. Atleast one monthly review of a business book.



If you have any more to add, then e-mail me.