2005 U.S. Grand Prix at Indianapolis

Monday, June 20, 2005



The U.S Grand Prix race began at 11:30 p.m. IST. So I didn't see it. When I woke up this morning at 6:00 a.m., I muttered to Vivek, "Who won?" referring to the race last night. He instantly replied, "You wouldn't want to know?" The first thought that crossed my mind was I had missed some real action and that Schumacher came first. I was right on one account - Schumacher did come first but as I learned later, it wasn't much of a race at all.

Trouble started at Indianapolis Grand Prix on Friday when Ralf Schumacher crashed. When I heard this, memories of what we witnessed in person at last year's Grand Prix came back to me. Ralf was rushed to the hospital last year after crashing. He wasn't hurt that bad this year. But no one fathomed the extense of damage the reason of his crash could cause this year.

14 of the 20 cars on Michelin tyres decided to pull out after the formation lap on tyre-related safety grounds. For the first time in years, all the 6 cars that started went on to finish. A lot of accusation against Ferrari and if it was right on their part to have continued with the race. Ferrari have now climbed to a joint second place for the constructors. All the fingers have pointed at the Ferrari+Bridgestone combination for Schumacher's poor performance this season. But it is that combination that did it at Indianapolis. And like Barichello said at the Press Conference, I thin Ferrari should not feel guilty and neither should they have pulled out of the race. It is Michelin's problem!

Ferrari is back in action and there is still scope to pull it off! Go Ferrari!