Friday, July 30, 2004



July 30th 2004 - International Sys Admin Day

Today is the 5th annual Sys Admin Day. I agree with this...


A special day, once a year, to acknowledge the worthiness and appreciation of the person occupying the role, especially as it is often this person who really keeps the wheels of your company turning.

What good is an application if the systems don't have a good uptime?
Its no secret that developers and sys admins are always at loggerheads. They just can't see in the same direction though their objectives are the same - to keep the system/application up and running. I'm a developer and I have had a fair share of my differences with sys admins. But we've got past it and sometimes a lil empathising and compromise can work wonders and result in a good working relationship (the underlying truth is it iss a symbiotic relationship between the developers and sysadmins).
Lets face the facts. Sysadmins are required to be at the server's 'beck and call' :( - be it any time of the day or night. Its a privilege the rest of us have that they don't. I value my sleep so much and that is one reason I'm really appreciative of my sysadmins' effort and the nightless sleeps they go through. I wonder if there is a International Developer's Day!

via Joi via Boing Boing

I've posted an update to my earlier post "Connected, Distributed Work" as it elicited comments on Many to Many