Thursday, July 08, 2004



Blogging Addiction

A conversation this afternoon at a corner cubicle got me thinking. There was a talk about blogs and it surprises me how popular the blogging phenomenon is. Anyways, my coworker made this statement - "Why do all this people go on vacation?". She was expressing her disappointment when there are "no daily entries" on the blogs she follows closely, when the blogger takes a vacation. I'm sure this is not a alienated feeling. I start my day by reading a few blogs and am disappointed too when there are no new posts for a long span.
After this conversation, it got me thinking if blogging was an addiction or an obsession? What do you call this compelling feeling to read/write blogs everyday? Here is a post on the same topic - Is blogging the opium of the Internet Generation?

This story appeared on New York Times.

TO celebrate four years of marriage, Richard Wiggins and his wife, Judy Matthews, recently spent a week in Key West, Fla. Early on the morning of their anniversary, Ms. Matthews heard her husband get up and go into the bathroom. He stayed there for a long time.

"I didn't hear any water running, so I wondered what was going on," Ms. Matthews said. When she knocked on the door, she found him seated with his laptop balanced on his knees, typing into his Web log, a collection of observations about the technical world, over a wireless link.


I know I wouldn't go to such great lengths as to blog during a vacation or miss deadlines at work to make 5 posts a day. Comments on a blog and increased traffic can be compulsive reasons to blog regularly - because then you are not writing for yourself, you are writing for an audience and there probably is an obligation and yearning for acceptance of views. Well I don't know...........