Saturday, May 22, 2004



RSS and Atom

I've spent a lot more time than I should have reading about RSS and Atom. I've been trying to find a online RSS aggregator that would show 1 newly added post within the last 24 hours for a list of blogs that I read everyday. Though there are a few good online RSS aggregators that also support Atom such as Bloglines, they do not allow linking from one's blog. Feedster does provide this feature but it doesn't seem to work. The fetaure is called feedpaper that lists the recent posts from one's list.

While reading about RSS/Atom, I did discover a few good sites for maintaning links to other weblogs (commonly called blogrolling). Check out Blogrolling and Del.icio.us.

Parsing the RSS feed either with Java/PERL is actually not a difficult task if I had my own server. In the absence of which I'm looking for a site that parses the relevant information and displays it and also facilitates linking to it from my blog.

A few good links:
Specs and understanding what it is:
RSS
Atom
RSS Feed Reader /News Aggregator Directory