Friday, April 02, 2004



Craze for Electronics runs in the family

For a while I thought it was just P who was crazy about gadgets. But I guess it runs in the family including V and Dad. DCR-HC 40 - the MiniDV handycam camcorder from Sony is finally here. It arrived today. Dad bought it. It is the result of a 2-month long deliberations, research on what, where and when to buy. Though finally what drove us to settle for one last Sunday was the ultimatum from mom - its either that damn camcorder or me. I'm sure she felt the amount of person hours we put into deciding the camcorder could have been spent elsewhere :) - just kidding. Dad was keen on buying TRV-33 - which is out of production now since DCR-HC40 replaced it.
So yeah I ordered it from IBUY digital I was apprehensive about ordering it from any of these sites that price a product $100 lesser than it is priced at Circuit City or Best Buy But the reviews for IBUY were the best in Yahoo Shopping So I placed my trust on Yahoo's rating of 5 for IBUY and Dad's research on the same - he did a great homework. As promised the product did arrive within 2 days of placing the order and it costed us a $100 less. However I'm not so convinced about the authenticity of the 5-star rating now. What IBUY does is, once a customer places a product and calls to confirm the order, they trick people into taking their 5-star survey with a lucrative win-a-Plasma TV contest. It is obviously too good to resist. So almost every customer that buys a product gives them a 5 star rating. And no wonder they are the only ones in Yahoo's shopping list with a rating of 5. Even Circuit City and Best Buy rank lower.

On the work front, I've finally decided to let it go. I am trying to come to terms with the fact that it is time to move on. There is no point cribbing when there is scope for a change. It is time to try something else. Most people I've talked to in the past few days say they dislike the jobs they do, but still stick to it when there are better options. We perhaps get so comfortable to the discomfort ( :- ) ) of the present job or perhaps it is so easy-going that we shut the doors to everything else. But unfortunately such jobs do not offer growth and they clash with ambition (if there's one). I hope it works for the better.