Game of Cards

Monday, April 11, 2005



Last evening, there was no power.. so V and I sat to play cards. Power cut is a common occurrence in summers and monsoon in India. So I guess we will get to see more of such dark evenings in the coming months. Now coming to the game of cards……
Believe it or not, for 25 years, all I knew about the game of cards was that a pack/deck consisted of 52 cards. I barely knew what the 4 kinds were – clubs, hearts blah blah. Cards was banned at home. My parents believed that their kids should never see cards, let alone play them. I don’t know the exact reason behind it. Is it probably because cards are considered to disrupt the peaceful existence at home in India (whatever that means). Or is it because of Shakuni’s role in Mahabharatha? I think I’m old enough to find out the reason now. Anyways the little knowledge on cards too was attributed to my mugging (rote) capacity. Every Maths exam had atleast 1 question on probability until my 12th Std. Wait a min… actually until 2nd year of Engineering. And the most commonly asked question in probability was on cards. So If I had to score 100%, I had to know this. Ever thought someone could actually know the answers to Maths questions without solving them? I’m ashamed to admit but I did. I would have been screwed if they changed the pattern of the question. I did score a 100% in 12th but couldn’t succeed in engineering.

Last winter when V and I had gone to Walgreens one evening, I saw these packs of cards neatly arranged and wanted to play but didn’t know how. So I bought one and persuaded V to teach me. Soon I was playing..I still don’t know many games in cards but atleast I know a few and I really love watching Poker. I wonder how my parents would react if they know…