First day at work

Monday, April 18, 2005



Here I am..back home from an eventful first day at work. Having studied in 11 different schools during my 12 years of school education, one would expect me not to have any anxiety in meeting new people and getting accustomed to any place. On the contrary, I experienced first day jitters a lot today. And I’m glad the day is over now. On the whole the day was so so. As I have always done, I would like to maintain the anonymity of the place I work at.

I must say the induction process was just great and the people very amicable. This being my second job after spending 6 years at my earlier place, I was able to appreciate the way things were done. I’ll spare you the boring details and just narrate one interesting incident (or you could call a faux pas on my part..)

It was late afternoon and I settled down at my desk and was enquiring the procedure to get the keys to the cabinet drawer.
A coworker said, ”If you want the keys to your cabinet, you could call up blah blah number”.

So here I call up the blah blah number and following is the ensuing conversation…

Me : “I have joined today and I would like to get the keys to my cabinet, whose number is blah blah.”
Receiver person (X) replies: “What?” in a quite surprised tone and asks me again what I wanted.
I mutter the same thing.
X says: “Are you sure who you are calling?”
Me : “I believe so as I was asked to call this number.”
X replies aggressively: “Well in that case you better know who you are talking to. I’m blah blah—the CFO of this place”. . “Chief Financial Officer”.
Me: “I’m sorry sir.”
And I hang up.

Haaaa….Quite an incident to remember this day by. A lot of things seem to be going haywire…hopefully the positive streak in me will carry me thr this phase!