Friday, January 09, 2004



Come Winter, Come foul mood

This article on Chicago Tribune titled On the bright side, it's OK to be gloomy
spoke my mind. All that I feel about winter - a justification to the gloominess. She said so rightly, one can get away with a bad mood which would pass as bad manners in the other seasons :)
This is my first winter in the true sense. There is no such thing as Spring, Fall and Winter in the southern part of India. We have only 2 seasons - monsoon and summer ( in varying degrees ofcourse). So I'm actually enjoying the cold. Initially I despised the cold and wind so much. Now I embrace it with a good attitude. This would be my first and last winter! For someone who has never experienced a temperature below 70 deg F this is indeed a sweeping change. Its so funny that I actually call 25 deg F as "Summer in Winter" - don't you think its better than the 10 deg F with chill winds blowing.

Memories of winter for the record (when I visit my blog next January and when the temperature in Bangalore is 70 F):
1. Kids look the best in this season. Covered completely, sleeping all the time in their cute prams ridden by their beautiful moms. The only thing one can see is 2 little eyes popping out of the warm clothes.
2. Well I think adults look good too, I would say sophisticated rather. Woolen clothes somehow make one charming. Layers and layers of clothes to dress and undress is so much fun.
3. Hats and mufflers and scarves are the best. They add color which is otherwise absent in winter. All the flashing colors of fall get buried inside the dark black/gray winter coats.
4. Snow flurries slowly falling like small cotton balls getting carried away by wind..not the ones that you see on a snow storm but the normal ones that you see on any winter morning.
5. The urge to snuggle under a warm blanket all day and lazily watch one movie after another until your eyes are tired.


The cold was our pride, the snow was our beauty. It fell and fell,
lacing day and night together in a milky haze, making everything
quieter as it fell, so that winter seemed to partake of religion in a
way no other season did, hushed, solemn.


Did you know Fannie May is closing down ?