How life has changed ..all in a day's work

Thursday, May 24, 2007



Life has changed so much in the past 5 months that it is hard to believe that I am the same person. This list is just to show the Lil General how he always kept me on the move.

Lil General is all of 70 cms but he keeps me on my toes all day. 2 grown-ups are not enough to handle this 5 month old kid.

"Let's eat out" has given way to "What's for dinner?" at home.

Then, I used to look at the cellphone every morning to see what time it is. If it was 7:00 a.m., it always meant I could be a slacker and tug in for another 10 more minutes. Now I rush to the bathroom at 6:15 a.m. and get stuff ready for him before he wakes up.

Then, I used to be an obsessive sleeper - going to bed by 10:00 p.m. come what may and turning the world upside down and letting everyone know if I didn't sleep well one night. Now, I can hardly remember the last time I slept uninterrupted for over 3 hours. Midnight feeds , diaper changing at 3:00 a.m. is part of the deal.

Talking about having your own space, I see he has taken half of my closet space and I would be lucky if I get about a feet in width on the bed to sleep through the night.

Then, mornings would start until I had a hot cup of tea with the newspaper in my hand. Now mornings end with a hot cup of tea. And some lucky days end with catching up the news.

On the brighter side, we would get tired of watching the idiot box on weekends and work nights. Now I can't remember the last time I switched on the TV. There is a 24*7 live entertainment channel at home, courtesy LG.

We indulged in retail therapy then and do so now. What has changed is for whom we buy. We go out to get something for us and end up buying stuff for him.

If there's one thing that has changed immensely, then it is my patience levels. Believe me, if nothing else, motherhood teaches you patience. Potty on one side, doorbell ringing, husband on a call, telephone ringing, mom on chat, vegetable burning on the stove and much more..I have learnt to handle all of this simultaneously without losing my cool. Of course, there are days when I get mad at everyone but everyone is entitled to a bad day, aren't they?

We don't eat when we are hungry. We eat when he is asleep or at least I do so.

Then, laundry could wait if we didn't feel up to it. Now, laundry can't wait and has to be done 2 times a day.

There is no room for laziness. His hunger can't wait. There are no Sundays and holidays. Every day is a Monday for me. No room for blues.

Then, our parents wouldn't call everyday. Now, they want to view their grandson on webcam everyday.

Then, we wouldn't know who our neighbours were. Now, boundaries diminish and neighbours come calling at all odd times to see the little one.

Then, domestic help took advantage because it was just us. Now, they are all the more sincere towards their work.

Then, I hardly had any woman friends. And I was pathetic at making small talk. Not that it has improved drastically but I'm doing a better job now in conversing with other women.

Bathing the baby, laundry, preparing his formula umpteen times, cooking for the family, comforting the baby to sleep, eating, entertaining guests, shopping, blogging , answering calls and more laundry..its all in a day's work now. Life can't get busier than this. Who said Parenting was easy? I wonder how working moms manage the show.

Finally, on a totally unrelated note : I loved this sentence I read on some one's blog ...We are committed to this roller coaster ride that is marriage. I just really prefer the peaks to the valleys.