Ads - Made for Men

Friday, October 28, 2005



This post is dedicated to V. There are some ads for women (all the mushy mushy senseless ones). There are ads for kids. And then there are ads for men. Well not intentionally made that way but you acknowledge that it is a guy thing. It appeals the men psyche so much that they would go to any lengths to make the entire household silent to watch those.. There have been some ads in this league before but the recent two are of a totally different class...They have raised the bar in advertising. They are epitomes of creativity.


Bajaj Avenger DTSi - I feel like God.

Honestly, it took me a while to understand and relate to the ad. A man is riding the Avenger on a mountainous terrain (Ladakh ?). As the ad progresses, there are flashes of incidents form the past like his shouting father, a drop of blood on his cheek when the barber shaves, the potholed roads. And you hear him say :


I forgive my father
I forgive my boss
I forgive the Government
I forgive my barber
I forgive them all
Because I feel like God.


This is huge. Bajaj Avenger DTSi makes him forget and forgive ? Well I don't know if Avenger is so good that you can get into a state of Nirvana, feel at the top of the world. But one thing is sure - this ad will ensure a high volume of sales! Feel like god after watching the ad? You can see the ad here.


Tata Safari Dicor - Reclaim your life
This one was much easier to relate to. The success behind this ad is its music - mesmerising flowing high and low in succession to match the mood. The ad starts on a depressing tone with these images
(A man in a boardroom meeting gazing at the lashing rain on his windows).
I ALWAYS WANTED TO CHASE THE RAIN ..
(A pregnant lady in a hospital lounge dreaming of an airplane)...
I ALWAYS WANTED TO TAKE A TRIP AROUND THE WORLD..
(A man in a parking lot)
I ALWAYS WANTED TO QUIT ON MONDAY MORNING..
I ALWAYS WANTED TO SWIM WITH THE WHALES.

The music suddenly turns upbeat and here comes the voice ..Reclaim your life. The sense of control that brings in is a inspiration. There is a striking chord that appeals to you instantaneously. Watch the video here.

Or is this just about the man and the machine (or the beasts) ?