Friday, November 21, 2003



Chat Culture
It has its blessings and curses. Since Thursday last, I'm cursing it all the time. It was another long working night ahead of me and all the people from work had logged onto AOL Instant Messenger. I was so sleepy that night, that when mom buzzed me on Yahoo!, I started responding to her. We started talking about my work and how it sucked off late because of those late hours. I'm not a night person and one who needs atleast 8 hours of sleep every night to be sane the next morning. This was one reason i dreaded taking up this job anticipating the long hours my former counterpart had put in. But it wasn't all that bad for the first few months and i realised it was just OVERDONE when there was no need for it.
Well, anyways so i started talking to mom about how stressful the job was and how much politics was going on and that i hated it! Huh...i didn't look at the monitor while my fingers frantically tapped at the keyboard. After i got my frustration out in the form of words to my mom, i look up at the monitor and I'm shocked. It was a fiasco. I had typed in all those sentences to the client. Huh...the initial reaction was to say "Sorry" and i just closed the window. Subsequent requests to join the conference chat were rejected by me. Instantly i found about 4 windows blinking in blue on - these were colleagues from my company who were a part of the conference chat and warning me all the time :
One guy said, "Wrong window syndrome"
Another said, "Watch out. Be careful".
Yet another said, "Stop it. Are you ok? Whats happening?"

How i wish i had looked at the monitor..All their warnings went in vain and the damage was done.

Tim immediately asked me "Is everything ok?" I just replied "Yes". He is one person i have started admiring for his practicality. Very hard on the surface though, I'm trying to understand him better! He is the most supportive when you least expect him to be. With him, you have to look beyond the obvious to see that he is actually with you and not with the rest though it might seem otherwise.

I receovered myself after a good 30 minutes after speaking to a friend and then to my dad. Dad's words really helped. He said "Well what you said was true. So long as you didn't take names it is ok". I was so tempted to call V. It was 1:45 a.m. and didn't want to wake him up. However i left a message and next morning he called me up. It felt good after talking to him. What happened couldn't be reverted. Everyone knew what i had said. I joined the chat later that night but remained very quiet throught the night and the following day. This tension hovered over me.

It taught me to be extra careful @ work in the future!