Friday, May 23, 2003




Interpreting Dreams

All of us get dreams when we sleep. Some of us remember when we wake up, some of us don't.
The reason i say "we get dreams" is because it is not a volunatry action initiated by us. Dreams are patterns of images that we see subconsicously in our sleep. Our brains continue to churn out images while the body is resting. I have been told that a sound sleep is devoid of dreams. Dreaming is a somatic process, nothing supernatural about it. I have observed a specific pattern in my dreams. I remember them only if they have been bad and disturbing. Over the past 2 weeks, dreams of murders, suicide, extra-marital affairs, divorces have haunted me. I wake up with heavy head on such mornings. Two years back, when i was going through a difficult phase of life, i used to get bad dreams. They communicate the state of mind, body and soul. Restlessless, anxiety, fear of change are expressed through dreams by different symbols.

Content of my dreams, as everyone else's, remain obscure, absurd and incomprehensible when I wake up. Wondering what such dreams meant and if i could interpret them i started looking for articles on the Internet. I realise that in reality, they are susbtitues of our own thought processes, with a hidden meaning. I have started viewing the hazy negative images in my dreams as pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. The pieces put together gives
me a vivid picture of my subdued thought process or perhaps whats in store for future. Most dreams concern primarily with future. However interpreting them analogously will certainly lay to rest some of the fears of the inner mind. For example, i woke up this morning narrating my dream to Vivek. I had seen a 20-something committing suicide followed by 3 murders. "Dreams on Death" signify a major change in one's life. I interpret "suicide" characteristic of a change that is to be forced on me, for which i might have to be prepared.

Sigmund Freud, in his work "Interpretation of Dreams", encourages one not to suppress his ideas even if they are irrelevant.
In his words, "Undesired ideas are changed into desired ones".
I can correlate it with my experience. One afternoon, I suppressed some thoughts that i perceived as non-sensical. I dreamt that very night of images concerned with the same subject, not understanding the relevance the next morning when i woke up. Now i know why!

Lesson : Do not constraint your thoughts. They are bound to surface in dreams sooner than later.

uhhh....i better stop now..else i can go on for sometime on this topic.