Slashdot -Qutting jobs?

Friday, March 04, 2005



An interesting thread in Slashdot on When Should you Quit your job? What do you all think?

Should one quit if ---

a) If you are slogging for an inhumanly 14 hours on an average every day and are grossly underpaid (if you know what industry standards are). And your company tells you that you are here for the challenges and that money is not everything in life!

b) If you are unhappy for a prolonged period with the kind of work you do.

c) If you are unhappy with your work environment (coworkers, managers) and do not see any hopes of anything changing.

d)Everyday seems like a Monday and no amount of sleep alleviates the tiredness.

I don't mean to say that one should consider 'quitting' as the first option if only one of the above is true and if you are happy with everything else. You never know what might be in store at your new workplace. There could me more morons to work with there than your current workplace! Instead of acting in haste, one should give himself/herself enough time to weigh the other options and see if things can change for the better. If not, you would be better of leaving than sticking behind. Remember in the latter case, you are just 'adjusting' yourself. My personal experience has been that if I'm not happy in the 8 hours I spend at work, I'm not happy when I get back home too.