Tuesday, January 11, 2005



Pedestrian Crossing

Pedestrian (or zebra) crossing is virtually non-existent in Bangalore, India.
If the commutation time takes forever, crossing the road after disembarking from the bus just adds to the misery. Crossing the 80 ft wide road every evening on my way back from work is an adventure and I devise new ways to do it without getting hit, such as ---

1. The safest and most obvious one - WAIT, wait and wait until the traffic thins out.The longest I have waited is 20 mins.
2. Facing leftward looking at just the oncoming traffic. There are days when I get till the middle of the road and then hear continuous honking behind me and I don’t turn back ---just to avoid the fear of vehicles almost brushing………
3. Not look either ways but just right ahead and dash across the road.
4. However what I did this evening was quite different from the others..I was in a hurry to get back hom to receive a guest. After waiting for 5 mins, I noticed a huge gentleman also waiting to cross. He set out to cross and I stayed as close to him as possible (he was my shield) but I couldn’t keep up with his big steps and almost ran to get to the other end on time.
It is scary and I don’t know when I would come under the wheels of the blue bus that is symbolic to Yama (the god of death in Hindu mythology) approaching.