Wednesday, May 21, 2003




Anger
Do u learn from the lessons that life teaches you, the events around you, movies that you watched on a Friday night or from what your friends have gone through? Or are you the kind who likes to get your fingers burnt and not learn from others mistakes? Or are you the kind who gets fingers burnt and still doesn't learn? I fall under the second category. Vivek tells me "Life is not a technology to be learnt and grapsed overnight from a book or a website" Observe, learn and improve.
In the movie "Anger Management", Jack Nicholson talks of two types of anger - explosive and implosive. Friday night, 2 hour movie, $9 spent yet learnt nothing. Two days later he gives me a suggestion for something and tears start rolling down my cheeks. ( I know i know girls are good at crying. And am the best of all at that. I still recollect dad making fun of me everytime i have cried. He used to say, "stop crying baby, i will get you a crying fruit" and i would wonder what fruit was that :) )
Worried if he had something wrong, Vivek asks me what happened. In my characteristic careless tone, I say " I don't know, Forget it". Five words that have no meaning and no solution. After a lot of effort from him, i tell him the reason - relating the suggestion to an incident that happened 3 months back. Though i claim that i have long forgotten it, feign indifference to the event as though it didn't matter to me anymore, IT DID. But i was not willing to accept. This is "implosive" anger. There's more to it than it appears. Had i shouted back at the person who hurt me, i wouldn't have been crying today. Implosive Anger takes different forms at different stages of life when you are least expecting it. So if you are one of those kinds then follwo this principle - "Shouting is a lot better than keeping quiet" It will make you a happy, cheerful, come-what-may attitude person.