Why being poilte doesn't work in India?

Saturday, November 10, 2007



In a country with a population of over 1.3 billion, you didn't think getting things done would be a walk in the park, did you? By things, I mean simple stuff like having the electrician over to fix your leaking geyser or expecting the fully-paid for book shelf to be delivered as promised on Sunday without 10 reminders.

Reality bites and the fact is being polite just doesn't work in this country. Everywhere everyone is in a mad run to nowhere; ready to stomp over the next person and it takes a great deal of patience to get anything done. Callousness is inbuilt; perfection is elusive and expecting one can only lead to a stressful life and a weak heart.

There's always a incident or a bad experience that acts as trigger point for every post. For this one, it was my experience with getting my gas burner fixed. In May 2007. I exchanged the old gas stove for a new 4-burner prestige stove thinking it will come in handy for multi-tasking and make cooking faster. Within a month after buying, two burners stopped working or were on a very low flame making it useless. I've been calling the customer service of Prestige for the past 60 days and every time I am promised someone will show up at my doorstep before 8:30 p.m. Gentle requests, raised voices, threats to return the stove - nothing has worked so far!