Why do I love Simon?

Thursday, March 09, 2006



Simon, who? Simon Cowell - one of the three judges on American Idol. We started watching American Idol for the first time ever, this season from the Chicago episode. And surprisingly for someone not into watching reality shows at all, I got hooked onto the show week after week. Thanks to Simon.

Some people suck at singing so much that it is a torture to the ears. Invariably I mute the TV after listening for 5 seconds for every performer, well except Taylor Hicks and the baldie - I forgot his name.

I am sure there are a lot of you out there who like SC too. Are we mean people who rejoice when he says absolutely mean things to nice people on TV like "You should book a plane ticket to home" or "I would turn off the radio if I were listening to this" or "you gave me a terrible headache" ? Which is further accentuated by his amazing facial expression. I guess I like him because he is honest partly and doesn't use sugar-coated words to tell you are bad. Its fun to watch his comments at the end of a performance and you are left to wonder whats wrong with him if he appreciates 2 in a row. For Pete's sake, Paula tells almost everyone that they are good and a great performer. The chemistry he shares with some is cool - like if you sing a Frank Sinatra number or someone as crazy as Brenna was. I doubt if I would watch American Idol if Simon was not there!