Monday, February 28, 2005



Joy Ride

I take a different bus to work every morning. The mannerisms of the different people I travel with makes every ride a unique experience. You get to meet strange people and their weird habits like singing loud, sleeping and falling over the adjacent person’s shoulders, reading aloud, yelling at your boyfriend on the cell phone, peoplee with their earphones motioning their their heads violently to probably their favorite tunes, people at the back running through the bus to the front to disembark even before the bus has come to an halt (so time conscious).….the list goes on. There was this lady who was describing her bank balance over the cell phone and explaining why she cannot buy the kid a toy.
Yet another incident that made me think bathroom singing is out and bus singing is in. A few weeks back, the guy I sat next to, who appeared sane initially was flipping through the pages of Times of India. After a few minutes he neatly folded it and placed it on his lap and started singing. He started singing Carnatic music loudly with thalams. For minutes, I couldn’t believe what was happening. I looked at him to make him relaise what he was doing but there was no impact as his eyes were closed. Huh…and then the same thing happened this morning with yet another guy. This time it was some melodies from old Hindi movies. But as it turns out, it can either be entretaining or annoying based on the talent of the person! I told myself that it is better to laugh at them than being annoyed.