My first article gets published

Friday, July 13, 2007



I've not felt so happy in a long time. Seeing your name in print gives that kind of a high which is hard to compare with anything else. People who have gone down thiseaded this road before will know what I mean. All you long for is to see your name in a Letter to the Editor or in the byline of a local newspaper to start with.

I wanted to do something about my writing, atleast try submitting an article. So one lazy Monday afternoon while I was lying with LG, a thought struck me of starting with something small, so I contacted the editor of a Times Of India Pune supplement newspaper. I was impressed with the gentleman and promptly submitted an article 4 days later. I don't have the luxury of sitting down for hours on stretch these days so the idea was conceived in shower, words formed in the head while cooking and the article written between 5:30 and 5:45 p.m. one Thursday evening while LG was napping and sent the next morning after proof-reading for obvious mistakes. It was quite natural to get frustrated when the article didn't get published the following week. Not too familiar with the rules of the publishing industry, I followed up once before giving up with encouragement from V. And what did I know, I saw the article in yesterday's edition, published without being edited even for a single word.

The article is titled "Store-age!". It is not up in the online version yet. Once it is, I will update this post. Until then, I am going to revel in my happy land with the words "Lakshmi Nagarajan" in print swimming in my head.