Gokulashtami : How to draw Krishna's little feet?

Wednesday, September 05, 2007




I look forward to Janmashtami / Krishna Jayanthi every year for one reason. I love making Krishna's little feet something that I've done since I was 13 years old. The house we live in currently has a black flooring so the feet appear beautifully against the dark background.

How to make these little feet :


  1. Mix maida in water or soak rice for 4 hours and then grind it in a mixer. Don't make these mixtures too thick..its consistency should be neither watery or nor like a dough. Somewhere in between like a porridge will do.

  2. Fold your hands as if you were going to punch someone. Now place your hands in the mixture and then make the impression on the floor. This becomes the feet. Place five dots over the feet to form fingers.

  3. Alternate this process with both hands to get the pattern of Krishna walking.

  4. For every 3 or 4 single steps put both the feet together.



This year, I had Lil General to help me out. I put his feet in the mixture and made him stand :)