Friday, March 26, 2004



Blog this, Blog that!

A lot of incoherent thoughts crossing my mind right now. It felt nice to stay away from work yesterday! And it feels all the more good when everyone is working and you can just laze around. I went to office early morning for a few minutes and then returned. At first when T asked me not to come to work, I asked him what do I do. I would get bored at home. But on the contrary, I realised I had so many errands to run and I was so occupied thr the day - doing grocery shopping, a quick visit to the library, got a haircut and treated myself to a good lunch! Oh well, a day off doesn't really hurt.

I was apprehensive about returning to work today. But the tension in the air cleared up and hopefully things will work out for the better. The tough phase is hopefully past me. I realise I don't thank Vinay enough for being so supportive all the time. He is my sounding board and never complains. No wonder everyone in the team likes him so much! Mark Twain said, "I think a compliment ought to always precede a complaint, where one is possible, because it softens resentment and insures for the complaint a courteous and gentle reception."

So finally spring is here. I was really surprised to see so many tourists around - it is spring break! The buses were really crowded with so many kids - these kids brimming with enthusiasm, asking amazing questions to parents, looking at all the buildings with awe and restlessly waiting to get to the museums.

Of late, I'm noticing many of my friends that write blogs. The blog culture has really caught up. Wonder what makes it so popular, in the sense personal websites have existed for a long time now. What makes blogs different from them..I like Mark Cuban's reasoning in his interview to Dan Gillmor. It reads..

Q: What else should I have asked you about the new world of communications?
A: It's not a new world. We all have been able to create our own websites for years. This is just a content management system, verticalized for diary entries. That diary-like format has caught the attention of the voyeur in all of us. Whether or not it's a long term impact, I have no idea.

I do think it is the diary like format with bits n pieces of personal information (amounting to enough gossip) that makes a blog more appealing!